Possible to do it yourself online backup

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Possible to do it yourself online backup

Post by b1parrott on 10th September 2009, 9:49 pm

I recently bought a Buffalo LinkStation external hard drive (1T). It is network ready and I am supposed to be able to access it from the internet. So.... Got me thinking. I have two offices and one home. Why not get one of these for each location and back up the one to two (A -> B&C, B -> A&C, C->A&One Cool Dude. Seems like this would be very secure, their not all going to blow up at the same time. Can anyone tell me if this is difficult? I'm sure it it possible. I do not have static IP addresses at any of the three locations. All have fairly fast DSL connections.

I have looked into online backup services, those like Carbonite and Mozy have their issues and don't offer a "physical" copy of your data. The professional services are expensive, looking at quotes between $100 & $300 a month for 50 Gigs. With that, and knowing that the drives like I purchased are less than $200 a piece, and larger ones are less than a couple of months service (4T = $600), this sounds like a great concept if I could figure out how to do it.

b1parrott
Beginner
Beginner

Posts Posts : 2
Joined Joined : 2009-09-10
OS OS : XP Pro, Vista Home Premium
Points Points : 26464
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Possible to do it yourself online backup

Post by Doctor Inferno on 11th September 2009, 3:48 am

Hello,

Online data backup is expensive and unnecessary if you practice good hard drive management. But if you are talking about storing your data online, then it's a different thing. You can simply upload your files online and download them from your office.

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

Doctor Inferno
Administrator
Administrator

Posts Posts : 12015
Joined Joined : 2007-12-26
Gender Gender : Male
OS OS : Windows 7 Home Premium and Ultimate X64
Protection Protection : Kaspersky PURE and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Points Points : 104620

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Possible to do it yourself online backup

Post by b1parrott on 11th September 2009, 5:26 am

I'm more concerned about loss of data due to fire or other disaster. Not worried about computer crash. I'm dealing with patient chart information, my office is completely chartless.

I'm not familiar with how to upload my files online and download them from my office. Plus I am dealing with 40 Gigs of data in one office. Won't that take a very long time to transfer? If I can remotely access a drive and only incrementally back the data up it shouldn't take too long.

b1parrott
Beginner
Beginner

Posts Posts : 2
Joined Joined : 2009-09-10
OS OS : XP Pro, Vista Home Premium
Points Points : 26464

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top