Another System Security woe thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Another System Security woe thread

Post by Dofine on 12th August 2009, 9:16 pm

I am having a bad time with the System Security 2009 spyware. Now that I've gotten it, I can't go onto the internet (using a second computer right now) cannot access the task manager or any programs, I can't do anything at all. It replaced my desktop, and sometimes a screen pops up, like a blue screen error, "warning" me about spyware, and I can only restart my computer to get out of it. I've tried many of the guides for it, but none seem to work. I downloaded three programs: Malware Bytes, Spyware Doctor and another one I can't remember the name of. After changing the names of several .exes, the first two work, but the third won't even install. Spyware Doctor's menu won't allow me to do anything except exit the program or change the size of the window, and whenever I try to run a scan with Malware Bytes, the program automatically closes. The worst part is now that whenever I restart my computer, the desktop (with the old backround) shows up, but no taskbar and no icons. None of the hotkeys like Alt+escape, windows key+run will work, and ctrl+alt+delete won't bring the task manager up either because it is "restricted by the administrator" or something or other. I'm seemingly in a bind with this, as now I can't even manually search out the files or try any new programs. Does anyone know how to get the explorer back, so I can at least try more solutions?

Dofine
Novice
Novice

Posts Posts : 5
Joined Joined : 2009-08-12
OS OS : XP
Points Points : 26787
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Another System Security woe thread

Post by Belahzur on 12th August 2009, 9:30 pm

Please download the current version of HijackThis from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

• Double click and run the installer.
  • It will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\hijackthis.exe
  • After installing, you should get the user agreement, press accept and Hijack This will run.
  • Select Do a system scan and save a log file. This will open a notepad file of everything Hijack This found, copy and paste it back here.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.

Belahzur
Administrator
Administrator

Posts Posts : 34918
Joined Joined : 2008-08-03
Gender Gender : Male
OS OS : 7 Home Premium x64
Points Points : 245121
# Likes # Likes : 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dofine on 12th August 2009, 9:33 pm

Well, first of all, thank you for that speedy response. You guys are quite good at this. The second thing, however... Well, as I said before, when I log into windows, nothing comes up. No icons, no taskbar, and I cannot use any hotkeys to open anything. The only thing that works is the mouse, and getting an error message when I ctrl+alt+delete. So, I can't download your program.

EDIT: I am not currently using the infected computer, either.

Dofine
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Belahzur on 12th August 2009, 9:44 pm

. This malware is just aggressive ain't it?

You could be dealing with a file infecter that's messed up explorer, or a newer infection I've been getting a lot of that also eats up explorer, or anything in between.

Can you boot into safe mode and see what happens in that mode? see if explorer will work there.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.

Belahzur
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dofine on 12th August 2009, 9:45 pm

Not to be an ignoramus but... How do I boot into safe mode? I've never had to do it before.

Dofine
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Belahzur on 12th August 2009, 11:55 pm

Please then reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the following :

• Restart your computer
  • After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually;
  • Instead of Windows loading as normal, the Advanced Options Menu should appear;
  • Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode, then press Enter.
  • Choose your usual account.

Belahzur
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dofine on 13th August 2009, 12:40 am

All right, I did as you said. I turned on safe mode, and then a list of files showed up onscreen. Then, the computer restarted, and came back up to the Advanced Options Menu. The first paragraph said: Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have cause this. The second paragraph said something about using the last known configuration, and the third was about if you've had a previous start up interrupted. I tried this two or three more times, but the same thing happened each time. Nothing different happened when I tried the last known configuration.

Dofine
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Belahzur on 13th August 2009, 1:17 am

Last hope would be a boot disc.

Please download this file: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

1. Insert a black CD into your CD draw.
  2. Double click the rescuecd.exe file on your Desktop.
  3. Hit the "Burn CD" button and allow it to burn, it shouldn't take too long.
  4. Next, reboot your computer, keep the CD inside the draw.
  5. Your computer should boot from the CD and boot to the Avira rescue disc.
  6. Next, see this guide here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Let me know how it goes.

Belahzur
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dofine on 13th August 2009, 2:37 pm

All right, I tried the CD twice. The first time as just a scan, it found seven records and fifteen warnings. The second time, I selected the "Repair" for any infected files. It couldn't repair any of them. My question is, should I now try the delete and/or rename option, or not? The first two scans made no difference.

Dofine
Novice
Novice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Belahzur on 13th August 2009, 4:18 pm

Have it delete them, no point renaming because then the infected files are still on the machine.

Belahzur
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top