16-colour gfx

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Solved 16-colour gfx

Post by pcuser on 17th January 2008, 12:30 pm

I recently installed Windows 98SE on a second PC that originally ran Windows 98, which then crashed. I then performed a clean installation, not realising that the Windows 98 CD wouldnít provide all the drivers, so Iím left with 16-colour graphics, which is useless as the minimum requirement for most things is 256 colours. Compounding the problem is the fact Iím missing both sound and modem drivers. I canít access the Internet to download any of the drivers. My main PC doesnít have a Zip drive or CD burner, so what can I do?

pcuser
Novice
Novice

Posts Posts : 41
Joined Joined : 2008-01-12
Gender Gender : Male
OS OS : XP and others
Points Points : 32750
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: 16-colour gfx

Post by pyari on 18th January 2008, 8:15 am

I came to know that U lost ur drivers cd. DL drivers on Main computer and use flash drive to copy. If u don't know name and v. of the hardware chips, for that u can see the hardware's chips. U can see ur hardware name and v.
U can't access the internet from the main computer then u can buy the drivers from the market. sorry.

pyari
Novice
Novice

Posts Posts : 18
Joined Joined : 2008-01-13
Points Points : 32540

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: 16-colour gfx

Post by Doctor Inferno on 18th January 2008, 9:54 am

Youíve learned a hard lesson about rushing in without taking sensible precautions first. Never install an OS without making sure you have the required drivers for it first Ė donít assume the OS will come with the drivers you need. It also sounds like you have no provision for backups on either device, in which case Iíd recommend you purchase either a second-hard drive or CD burner to give yourself a location to back up your most important files too.

All is not lost, though. You have Internet access on your main PC, and Iíll assume both computers have floppy drives. Modem drivers tend to be small enough to fit on a floppy disk, so visit your modem manufacturerís Web site to get the latest Windows 98 drivers Ė you should find they fit on a floppy disk.

If you donít know what model or make your modem is, youíll have to manually identify it by examining the actual modem for identifying marks.

Once youíve installed the modem drivers on your PC you can then connect to the Internet and download the missing drivers for your second PC.

8)

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

Doctor Inferno
Administrator
Administrator

Posts Posts : 11976
Joined Joined : 2007-12-26
Gender Gender : Male
OS OS : Windows 7 Home Premium and Ultimate X64
Protection Protection : Kaspersky PURE and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Points Points : 104640

View user profile

Back to top Go down