Regular blue error screen upon reboot, causing reboot...

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Regular blue error screen upon reboot, causing reboot...

Post by Griff on Fri 10 Jul 2009, 6:10 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi there, I've just formatted my machine and put Windows XP on it. I've also installed SP3.

The problem I'm having is a delayed reboot when my machine is starting up. During the boot I get a quick flash of the dreaded blue screen of death, and then the system restarts. Upon loading up again I am given the choice to booting up in Normal mode, Safe Mode, and a couple other options. Often trying the Normal mode again is fine and I get into Windows no problem. Sometimes it does the blue screen again, and back to the boot options.

I've had this problem for a long time, usually it only occurs after I've formatted my system and reinstalled Windows. My copy of Windows is a special version I made myself using nLite Streamline so I could include SP2, but more importantly so I could include some Intel mobo drivers. The reason for this is my stupid Intel mobo came with a floppy disk with special drivers for use with SATA HDDs, which I have. Yet the mobo doesn't have IDE sockets, so when I first built this machine I was at odds to how I was meant to get this working (without going out and buying an external USB floppy disk drive - which I refused to do out of principal).

Anyways, I suspect this is coming back to haunt me, so to speak, and I would like to know if there is anything I can do about it. Hopefully without formatting again since I have JUST got everything back installed.

Griff

Rookie Surfer
Rookie Surfer

Operating System : Windows XP Professional

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Regular blue error screen upon reboot, causing reboot...

Post by Griff on Sun 18 Oct 2009, 11:30 am

Hi again. Sorry, I'm a bit unsure what you are referring to...

Oh I always use the safely remove...

I'm about to check and see if my the external HDD is truly dead now... Wish me luck!

Griff

Rookie Surfer
Rookie Surfer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on Sun 18 Oct 2009, 12:46 pm

Griff:

Nuts! I'm so sorry that happened! Sometimes these drives can be recovered by simply getting the new connecting circuit board, e.g., it might not be the drive that croaked but rather the connecting circuitry. You're gonna think I'm crazy, but, yeah, sometimes also putting these bliters in the freezer for a bit cools things down enough to let u get your data off them. Also, if u can possibly get the hard drive out of the case & into another enclosure, this might also allow u to get your data off it. Again, it really depends on whether the hard drive actually sizzled or whether it was just the connecting circuitry, but, really, often the latter is the case, & enclosing it in a different enclosure or replacing the connecting circuit board can help u recover your stuff. Interestingly enough, this very same thing happened to a friend of mine not long ago. I guess perhaps it's better to have the USB connected to the puter 1st b4 plugging it into the mains. Doesn't do u much good now, though.

Let me know how it goes--& don't throw the thing away if u can't get your data off yourself--I might yet have some tricks left in my bag.

abletec

Rookie Surfer
Rookie Surfer

Operating System : xp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Griff on Sun 18 Oct 2009, 3:41 pm

Hey hey.

I've sent a message to Western Digital about what I should do next, hopefully they can help me as I really don't want to screw things up further or beyond my control...

Griff

Rookie Surfer
Rookie Surfer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on Sun 18 Oct 2009, 4:12 pm

Keep in touch, Griff.

abletec

Rookie Surfer
Rookie Surfer

Operating System : xp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

hji

Post by elakbar on Wed 21 Oct 2009, 6:22 pm

Try to find a new Hard Disk

elakbar

Newbie Surfer
Newbie Surfer

Operating System : WP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Griff on Wed 21 Oct 2009, 6:57 pm

Hey again. Ok, Western Digital are mailing me a new AC adaptor, hopefully that's all I need to get my external HDD powered up, AND that it's not dead.

Here's the latest log file... System froze 20 minutes ago, at exactly 11:58pm.

App Log

Sys Log

And Elakbar, thanks for the super advice. I'll try really hard.

Last edited by Griff on Thu 22 Oct 2009, 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Griff

Rookie Surfer
Rookie Surfer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by elakbar on Wed 21 Oct 2009, 10:19 pm

its ok, my pleasure

elakbar

Newbie Surfer
Newbie Surfer

Operating System : WP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:36 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum