Regular blue error screen upon reboot, causing reboot...

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Regular blue error screen upon reboot, causing reboot...

Post by abletec on Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:57 pm

Griff, if errors strike again--I saw your application log, which u were *so* great to post--next time u get a BSoD I'd like to see your system log. Same instructions--control panel > administrative tools > event viewer--but this time right click the system log, choose save as, choose text, & post here. Hope u don't need to but...

Like I said, I guess I prefer to try to get at least a reasonable diagnosis b4 suggesting a fix. Takes a little longer & there's no guarantee of getting it right, but one hopes it's at least somewhat helpful.

Blessings.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posts Posts : 89
Joined Joined : 2009-08-10
Gender Gender : Female
OS OS : xp
Points Points : 26901
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Griff on Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:36 am

Ok, I tried to post this with just the warnings and errors, but it was way too big. So here's a couple links to TXT files.

Full System Log

Just the Warnings and Errors

Griff
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posts Posts : 63
Joined Joined : 2009-07-08
OS OS : Windows XP Professional
Points Points : 27141

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:47 pm

Griff, well, I think we're finally coming to the end of this. I'm afraid it might not be a very satisfactory end, but sometimes endings in & of themselves are what's needed. So I don't get my exercise jumping to conclusions, however, let me ask u a couple questions:
1) Do u notice that the freezes seem to be occurring when you're burning &/or accessing a cd?
2) Is your primary hard disk a sata or ide drive. If u don't know, go to programs > accessories >system tools > system information, highlight hardware resources, click file, click export, & save it as grifs sysinfo log.txt or something similar.

I have a feeling you're experiencing a hardware failure & that it may well be on your motherboard. There are things we can do to work around it. U should also tell me what the brand & model of your machine is, & whether it's a lap/desktop.

Thanks for hanging in so tenaciously w/me. I'm going out of town tomorrow for the weekend, so if there's a delay in my reply, that's the reason.

Blessings for your day.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Griff on Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:50 am

Hey again...

My primary HDD is a SATA, and it's a desktop.

I wouldn't be surprised if I am having problems with the mobo. Here's why: This Intel motherboard came with a floppy disk with special drivers for SATA HDDs. However, I don't have a floppy drive, and STUPIDLY enough, the Intel motherboard doesn't have ANY IDE slots to use a floppy drive!

I think Intel expected people in this situation to go out and buy an external USB floppy drive... Which I refused to do on principal.

So when I tried to install Windows without the Intel-SATA drivers, it failed. Eventually I found out about a thing called Streamlining, and a program called nLite, which allowed me to make a custom install CD of Windows, which included the Intel-SATA drivers. And while I was at it, I was able to add SP2 to the custom Windows install CD.

I think I have to bite the bullet, buy an external USB floppy drive and re-install Windows and use the floppy disk that came with the Intel mobo... What do you think?

Griff
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:07 pm

Griff, these sata drivers can create some real headaches & heartaches. Make certain your bios is set to ide mode (location varies, so u may have to poke about in there). Also, I believe some dude named Fernando recommended a subset of sata drivers for use w/nLite rather than those that came w/the mobo (I believe that's on NLite's website). Having said all that, Bro, computers aren't acquainted w/general principles & I think u just need to bite the bullet, buy a floppy drive, & do the job right.

Let me know how it all turns out for u, ok?

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Griff on Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:31 am

Thanks for all your help, and yes, I will certainly be posting again when I have made changes and got this thing fixed up... or not!

Do you foresee any problems with an external USB floppy drive not working during the Windows install process? Do you think the USB floppy drive will need extra drivers itself?

Can you tell me more about changing the bios to idle mode? What will that do? I know how to get to the bios and alter the settings, so I will give that a go too... Should this be something I do when I re-install Windows or now?

Last edited by Griff on Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Griff
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:45 pm

Griff, do the bios thing now. It's designed to make the sata appear more like a native ide drive. Actually I think that installing using NLite w/the bios in ide mode should really work. Seems like folks are doing this successfully from what I'm reading. The USB floppy drive will not need drivers.

Griff, if you've got skype or somethin & feel like u need help w/this I'd be happy to come aboard & assist, though u strike me as being pretty technically competent.

Keep me posted. We've come a long way.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Griff on Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:47 am

Hi again. I've changed the bio to read the SATA as IDE (it was set to RAID). There was a good few hours or so where the computer didn't stall and upon starting up I didn't see any blue screens. But it was short lived, and the computer still stalls now and then.

I'm in the process of backing up all my stuff and getting ready to re-install Windows. I will wait until the USB floppy drive arrives, which I am about to order now... I think I should prep an nLite Windows install CD too, just in case. What do you think?

Griff
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:26 am

Griff, what's the mobo model & manufacturer on this? & if it freezes again, would u send application & system logs like u did previously, *noting the time when the freeze occurred?* Looking at the logs was helpful, but, because it was hard to tell when it actually froze up, it might not have been as instructive as it could be.

Make certain your drivers are the latest from the mobo manufacturer or MS. The mobo ones probably have increased functionality.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:43 am

Griff, 1 last thing. Make certain your usb is set to legacy in bios, or we're gonna have problemos. U can set it back again if you'd like, but for the floppy drive to work, it needs to be set that way. Often, it's the default.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Griff on Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:59 am

The motherboard is Intel DP35DP. I'm about to check for new drivers for it now.

Sure thing, next freeze, I will post Application and System Event Logs. Smile

USB is in legacy mode, and has always been apparently.

Griff
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Griff on Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:26 am

It just frooze up on me now. So here is a new Application and System log file:

App Log

Sys Log

I think the DCOM error in the System log is the one to look at, as the freeze took place at 2:20pm. BTW, I don't use MSN Messenger at all, but to stop it from running I renamed the .exe file.

I've found a bunch of updates for my mobo here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2782&OSFullName=Windows+XP+Professional*&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go!

Do you think I need all of these? I've downloaded the Chipset, RAID, Audio and Intel Management Engine driver updates. Do you think the Bios is needed? I just installed the Audio driver updates and it stopped my audio from working from the rear sockets. I've always had problems with this mobo's audio. I've used System Restore to go back to the older drivers, and I'm good again.

Last edited by Griff on Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Griff
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Griff on Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:58 am

Oh one more thing... I think the one constant thing that all these freezes have in common is I have been using my 1TB external HDD to either play music from, or watch a movie on (99% of the time it's playing music thru Winamp) at the time.

So I wonder if my motherboard is not handling this well and throwing a hissy fit.

I used to keep all my music and movies on the primary HDD, but I came close to running out of space, so I threw them all on the external drive...

Griff
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Griff on Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:02 am

Ironically, it just froze up then, right after I made that post. AND I wasn't playing music or accessing my external drive at all... So yeah... :/

Griff
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Griff on Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:03 pm

I don't wanna jump for joy just yet, but after installing those Intel driver updates (Chipset, RAID and Management Engine) I haven't had any freezing. I've been doing all the things that usually results in freezing too... So yeah... Fingers crossed this lasts!

Griff
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:21 pm

Could've been those drivers had glitches in 'em, Griff, which the new 1s fixed. Let's hope u won't have to install windows yet again lol. I always hate doin' that.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Griff on Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:37 am

Hello! It's been a while, I know... I finally got the USB external floppy drive, and finally got some free time to format and re-install Windows, which I did yesterday.

The stupid thing is still randomly freezing on me. Sad tearing I'm very upset and don't know what else to do now. I might just take to to a PC store and pay someone to fix it for me.

One good thing though, I haven't seen the blue screen of death in a LONG time... So it's just the random freezes now. However, it happens frequently, and it's a big deal. Usually it happens two or three times per day, and I only use the computer when I get home from work for a few hours. So in that time span from roughly 5:30 to 10pm, I get on average two or three freezes. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Since posting last I've been lucky enough to have one, or maybe two days TOPS where it hasn't done it at all.

Griff
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:50 pm

Hay, Griff, the next time u get a freeze, let's do the following immediately, or as close to that, as possible
1) Go to control panel, administrative tools, event viewer;
2) Double click on application log;
3) Click the view menu, then click filter, & uncheck information & success audit, then click ok;
4) Right click again, choose save as, & select text file.

Do likewise w/the system log, & paste the contents in a message so I can look at them. Let me know what time the freeze occurred so I can isolate that more precisely rather than wading thru tons of events lol. Dog gone it! I had hoped those new mobo drivers would have helped our cause.

Also, Griff, here's something else we might try:
1) Go to control panel > system & click the advanced tab;
2) Click the startup & recovery options, & make sure that the checkbox that says on system failure, startup automatically is *unchecked*. That way, u might be able to read (& copy for my benefit) any error screens that appear. That could well shed light on what is occurring.

Thanks again so much for all your patience & cooperation, & I'm sorry your problem has not in fact been resolved.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Griff on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:41 am

Hi again, thanks so much for sticking with me through all this! Smile

Ok, it just happened now, nearly exactly at 6:30pm.

I have a sneaky suspicion my motherboard is the culprit throughout all this. I don't have a separate sound card, and I have had music playing thru WinAmp probably 95% of the times the computer has froze up. I've also had difficulties with the SigmaTel audio drivers of late. The application suddenly opened itself and tried to tell me I had speakers or headphones attached to the front sockets of my computer tower (which I didn't). I turned off the option to have 'Automatic Jack Monitoring' as that might have caused that issue. But i should have also informed you when I first got this computer I had to install the Intel Audio Drivers a few times until it succeeded, as the first couple times it simply failed to install correctly. I didn't have this problem when I did the total format and re-install just two days ago.

Anyways, I should keep this short as it JUST froze on me again! GRRRR!! I updated the time this happened (to 6:30pm). And yes, I was playing music...

Here's the logs:

App Log

Sys Log

Thanks again for all the help!

Griff
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:13 pm

Griff, 1 thing I'm seeing that *really* troubles me is in your system log an entry that states that there has been a disk error detected on disk 0\d. Do u have 2 partitions on this drive? I'm beginnin' to think perhaps you've got hard drive failure occurring or about to occur.

I noted the DCom server error. What I wish you'd do, as opposed to renaming the .exe file, is simply uninstall windows messenger from the add/remove applet in control panel, if it is that u don't use it. Rename the .exe back again properly or you'll have problems doing that.

You've also got a timeout sending a plug-&-play notification to winamp. There's a lot of information--including a fix--for computers running win2k regarding that, but not xp. I'll continue to look. 1 thing I do wish you'd do, temporarily if u wish, is to go into Winamp's preferences & tell it you're not connected to the internet. I am seeing some indications that you're exceeding the number of TCP/IP connections, & that should not be occurring. U might also wanna scan your machine for malware, just to be certain, though if u just reformatted that sucker 2 days ago, one would think that might not be the case. Still....

I am still troubled regarding the possibility that either your hard drive is failing or that the proper drivers for it are not installed.

I'm heading out shortly but when I return I will review all our correspondence in order to make certain I'm not missing anything. When things get protracted over a fairly long period of time, it's easy to do.

Have a good day, & I'll check w/u later.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Griff on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:29 pm

I didn't get around to passing on some additional info last night... Two of the freezes I had occurred about 20 seconds into playing the song thru WinAmp. Being persistent, I tried again, but not a third time as I was downloading a large file and running a AVG virus scan. I will try to play that particular song again, right after I post this and see what happens...

I am unsure if I mentioned this before, but I keep all my music files on an external HDD. It's a Western Digital 1TB USB external HDD, so I'm wondering if that is causing the problems, as it is in use 95% of the time the freezes are happening.

Griff
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Griff on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:37 pm

Ok, it didn't freeze this time... :/

Griff
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Griff on Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:46 pm

Sorry, I forgot to reply to your questions...

No, I don't have any partitions, but like I said, I have my external Western Digital HDD in addition to my C drive, which from memory is also a Western Digital, but only 400GB (I'm at work now so I can't confirm this for you).

I didn't think we (as Windows users) were ever given the option to uninstall Messenger. It's been a long time since I looked at doing that, so I will give it a shot tonight.

I'll make that 'no internet connection' change to WinAmp too, and do a Malware scan. Do you know if AVG checked for Malware or just virus'? Cos I did a fast scan with AVG last night. I did find a trojan in two files, which I promptly deleted (the install files for Cyberlink Power DVD).

Griff
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:08 am

Griff:

Download AntiMalwareBytes from
www.malwarebytes.org
& scan your hard drives. Both the internal & the external 1. Also consider scanning your external wd drive w/AVG as well. You're certain u don't have a d: partition on that internal hard drive? e.g., like a recovery partition or something? That error message would certainly indicate the computer thinks so. Also, Griff, I am not sure whether the disk error you're getting is an actual hard drive error or a disk controller error, which is on the motherboard.

It is better to have songs on an internal rather than an external hard drive, simply because transmission of the audio is faster on the internal. U might look at Winamp's buffering options & see if u can't increase audio buffering. U might also play w/the visualization effects, as a lot of visuals can mess up the playback of the audio. Lastly, u may wish to experiment w/the wave output plugin rather than the direct sound output plugin to see if that makes any difference.

If u can't uninstall messenger, open it, & in its option menu, choose not to run it at startup.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Griff on Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:29 am

Oh you know what? Since I was re-installing all my programs, I have some programs as ISO files, so I was using Daemon Tools to emulate a fake CD / DVD drive, and THAT might have still been open and showing when the freezes occurred. I've turned that off, so I can update the App and Sys Log TXT files when it freezes next if you'd like?

I think I might just buy a new HDD for all my media files (music, movies, etc) because the primary internal 400GB one is getting full, which is why I started using the external 1TB one. And I originally planned to use that JUST for backing my files up.

When I did the AVG fast virus scan last night I included the 1TB HDD... It found the same two trojans that were simply copies of the Power DVD install files I had backed up.

I don't use any visuals on WinAmp (unless you could the lil wavelength thingy. I have been warned the newest WinAmp is a resources hog...

Griff
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Griff on Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:38 am

Just quickly, I've told MSN not to auto start, but because I use Outlook Express, it opens in my system tray when I launch Outlook. Very annoying. I can deal with it while we sort out the larger problem though. Smile

Griff
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Griff on Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:31 am

Another quick update. Mbam scan done, I'm all good and clean. Smile

Griff
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:35 pm

Griff:

Ok, let's do a few things. If u aren't runnin raid on that system, which I believe u said u weren't, then I need for u to comb your bios *in depth* & disable anything having to do w/raid. U should study your mobo manual, but, in a situation like that, then I believe the text mode drivers are no longer required should u need to install windows again. Given that disk error, I wonder if your machine thinks it has a raid array, even though it doesn't.

Removal of messenger takes place under control panel > add/remove programs > windows components. Messenger can be disabled in outlook express by going to tools > options & unchecking the option to automatically logon to windows messenger as found in the general tab.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Griff on Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:32 am

Hi again... I'm making those WinAmp changes you suggested now... I had to re-install WinAmp, for some reason it was crashing when I tried to launch it. I should have told you also, it did this last time I re-installed Windows and put WinAmp back on...

I'm only playing music from my C drive now, but I've still had three freezes tonight! The first was around 7:15pm, and I've updated and uploaded the App and Sys log files right after that first one. Here's links to the new TXT files:

App Log

Sys Log

How can I ensure I don't have Raid? I'm not 100% sure, but I'm 90% sure. I'm not all that well knowledgeable with Raid...

Griff
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:19 pm

Griff, let's just say this--if you've only got 1 hard drive inside that computer, & u don't have that computer networked up to others where you're backing up data over the network, u don't have raid. From the description of your setup, that clearly seems to be the case. Let me look at these logs. Have u reset the option in control panel so that xp doesn't restart automatically on errors? Perhaps u could get a copy of the message when it freezes?

To do that, go to control panel > system, click the advanced tab, click the startup & recovery settings button, & uncheck the box that says on system failure, automatically restart.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:46 pm

Griff:

We're still getting a disk0\d error, e.g., the puter thinks there are 2 partitions on that drive. U sure u don't have a hȋdden 1 like a recovery disk?

On examining the timelines further, however, it does appear that the disk errors & the winamp application errors do *not* coincide. The winamp errors are occurring in module nde.dll, which is evidently the winamp media library database. Information on a fix found here:

It would also appear, Griff, that u are runnin some kind of bit torrent client while in process of playing winamp, & you're getting TCPIP/IP connection limitation errors. Were I u, I would disable your torrent client while playing your music. It actually looks like perhaps it's coming up on startup, & I would definitively prevent that, if I were u.

I am still curious about that d: partition. What drive letter is your cd drive? Are u runnin any kind of virtual machine or somethin?

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Griff on Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:27 am

Hey again. Here's the drives I have on my machine...

C (HELL): my primary HDD
E: my DVD Burner
S: my 2GB USB key
W: my 1TB external HDD

No virtual machine as far as I know! I'm not sure why my DVD is E and not D. Lately I've left the USB floppy disk drive plugged in, which was A drive, but to keep things simple I've left it unplugged the last few days.

I'm not sure about the hȋdden partition, how can I be sure? When I formatted this thing last, during the Windows installation I ensured I deleted all the partitions on C drive, created a new one, and then installed Windows on it.

Vuze is the Bitorrent program I use. I'll stay clear of using that for a while now. I didn't know it was auto-starting! Can I give you a screen shot of my msconfig > Startup list so you can tell me if anything in there is not as it ought to be?

I think you forgot to paste a link to a fix for the WinAmp error... Smile

Griff
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:03 pm

Griff:

Well, crudball! The url is:

Sorry--as per a friend: multitasking v. multi-task-ing 1. Doing several things badly all at the same time. Lol.

I'd happily check out your computer startup for u. However, Griff, since it usually isn't an issue I don't mention it, but now it is. I'm completely blind now, & the program that talks to me & tells me what's onscreen doesn't interpret screenshots as they're graphical & my screenreader only reads text. Obviously as a graphics designer u understand well the difference. However, if you'd go to
www.trendmicro.com
download a program called hijackthis, install it up, & then choose the option to scan & save a logfile & send it to knowledgeable folks, I'd be glad to check it out & offer suggestions. I sincerely apologize for having to ask u to accommodate my eyesight difficulties. It's a quick download & install, though, so hopefully it won't take too much of your time. The benefit is that it'll actually provide me w/more information than would MSConfig.

Let's do 1 last thing to check out this apparent d: partition:
1) Go to control panel > administrative tools > computer management > storage > disk manager. What are u seeing re: that d: partition?

Again, sorry to have to ask u to accommodate my eyesight problem. I hope it won't be too much inconvenience. Thanks for your time, patience, & understanding.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:05 pm

Griff, for whatever reason, looks like the url is being stripped by the forum. So, I'm thinkin now it wasn't me after all. I'll try pm-ing u w/it & see if that flies. Sorry. Hmm. I thought I recalled posting links to other folks & they worked fine. Weird. Just in case, it's:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?postid=1977086#post1977086

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:07 pm

Ok, so it didn't like my angle brackets at the beginning & end. Totally bizzarre! I won't pm u after all. AARRGG!

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Griff on Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:02 am

Hi again. Oh, I'm sorry to hear about your blindness. But don't feel it has in any way gotten in the way of us solving this evil computer problem! I already have Hijackthis downloaded somewhere, and I have used it before, so I will get that running in just a moment and post the results.

Ok, in Disk Manager I'm only seeing three disks:

C drive (HELL), W (1TB HDD) and E (DVD drive). I don't have my USB key in at the moment. So this is odd!

Thanks for the WinAmp info, I will sus that out ASAP. Smile

Griff
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Griff on Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:41 am

Hi again. Smile

Here's my HiJackThis Log.

Griff
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:23 pm

Griff, your USB drive showing up although not connected is really not odd at all. These "fantom drives" tend to happen when legacy USB is enabled in bios as it allows the drives to become active b4 the OS starts.

What I think I'd like to see u do is to go back to disk manager, highlight your dvd drive, click the actions menu, then all tasks, then change drive letters & paths, & assign it to drive d:. Then we can see if those disk errors on disk0\d continue. If not, then for whatever reason the computer was trying to access something it thought was there but which really wasn't, thus creating the error. If we now get disk errors on disk0\c, then we really do have to consider hard drive or mobo controller problems. I rather suspect the latter is not the case but we still have to consider the possibility that a hard drive failure or controller problem could be causing your freezes. But since the disk errors in the system log seemed not to coincide w/the winamp errors, my suspicion is that changing the drive letter of your dvd will eliminate them.

So, let's have u fix your winamp database & change your dvd drive to d: & see how we go.

I do suggest also that u consider looking at your motherboard manual, or even calling their tech support to find out whether text-based drives are really needed. I used them when building hubby's computer the 1st time, but when it crashed, I called EVGA tech support, & they assured me they weren't needed unless raid was enabled in bios, &, indeed, the machine seems to be far more stable now w/o them. So this is really something worth considering, though another repartition/reformat/reinstall cycle is very likely somethin u would prefer to live without right now. Still, if it provides more stability, then it truly might be worth the hassle to configure the machine correctly. If u do decide that is the way to go, & your mobo does indeed not require text-based drivers unless u have raid enabled, then u might do well to turn off legacy USB in bios, reinstall windows so that drive letters are assigned correctly, then go back & re-enable legacy USB in bios once windows is back up.

Lastly, I have a motto, it's bbb, which stands for being blind bites, or, according to my preacher husband, being blind's a b-word (the pastoral version). But I get along ok, & there are a lot of folks far worse off, so I don't complain. It does irritate me when it inconveniences some1, like w/your situation, but most folks like yourself are really nice about it & accommodate those generally small things I ask for very willingly, of which I'm very appreciative. Computers have expanded the horizons of all disabled people significantly, allowing us to do things like read independently, control the household environment for those who are parallyzed, & can literally speak for those who cannot, thus allowing the disabled to do things that were impossible before their advent. & being blind doesn't really prevent me from helping folks on this forum, except for those small changes I have to sometimes ask folks to make to accommodate it.

I'll post regarding your hjt log when I see it.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Griff on Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:12 am

@abletec wrote:Griff, your USB drive showing up although not connected is really not odd at all. These "fantom drives" tend to happen when legacy USB is enabled in bios as it allows the drives to become active b4 the OS starts.

Oh sorry, I meant to say I simply didn't have my USB key plugged in last time, so the drives showing up were correct.

Ok, I've changed my DVD drive to D. I wonder how long it had been on E for, because I hadn't noticed that until you picked up on it. I normally reserve D for my DVD drive.

I'm still in the process of figureing out the WinAmp settings, there's a lot to go through!

Did you see the HJT log in my last post?

Griff
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:15 pm

Griff, that post went thru? When I sent it, I got this screen in what appeared to be French that, from what I could translate, indicated that the site was undergoing maintenance. So I thought it ate it. & I was really busy w/some stuff yesterday & hadn't had the time to rewrite. Am I ever glad I didn't have to, cuz obviously it was a long 1.

I did not see the hjt log. Let me look again. Probably what happened was that when I thought it ate my post I just left in frustration. Now I'm selecting & copying text in case that happens again. Actually it happened 2 mornings in a row & I should have done that yesterday b4 I sent, but, no--why would I be intelligent about it? Lol.

Now let me go see if I can't find that hjt log.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:05 pm

Griff, I now looked at that hjt log. Again, if u wanna uninstall windows messenger, u can do so under control panel > add/remove programs > windows components. Other than that, there's nothing that jumps out at me.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Griff on Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:14 pm

Hey again. Sorry for the delay in replying...

Ok, I have a bit of good news... I haven't had a system freeze for a few days. I don't know what I've done or if the computer just decided to be nice (heh!). I am also hesitant to even post this as knowing my luck it could freeze up in the middle of typing this!

I uninstalled Windows and MSN Messenger. Thanks for that tip! Maybe that did it?

I bumped up the buffering in WinAmp as much as possible.

I also altered some settings in Vuze, my Bitorrent client, but I only did that yesterday... And the things I changed were only related to download and upload speeds and interface behaviours.

I also had my 1TB external HDD unplugged from the computer for a couple days, but was still getting freezes without it plugged in. But is it possible by having that external HDD plugged into the computer during the format and subsequent Windows installation process my computer thought it was more than just an external drive? Could this explain the "disk0\d" stuff?

Anyways, the original blue error screen (of death) problem that this thread originally started out as has gone (and I haven't seen that in a long, long time). So fingers crossed the freezing has also gone away.

I plan to get a new internal HDD to store my media files (music and movies) and use the 1TB external for purely backing up my stuff.

Hopefully this will be the last post you hear from me! Many, many thanks for your help! Smile

Griff
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:39 pm

Griff, yeah, I think that having the external hdd plugged in when u installed Windows made it think u had 2 drives. The rule of thumb is unplug *everything* b4 doing a repartition/reformat/reinstall. I would check your mobo manual &/or their tech support to see if indeed text mode drivers are necessary if u ever have to do a reinstall again. If not, you'd be better off w/o the suckers.

I am glad to have helped u. It has indeed been my pleasure, but please don't hesitate to post again should the need arise. Who knows--u might even get me again. I do believe we worked out some configuration problems in addition to the winamp freezes. I think your machine should probably run as smooth as any windows box can now. Always that caveat.

Many blessings & much success.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Griff on Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:21 am

I spoke too soon. :*(

I just had a freeze now. Maybe I need to re-install Windows with the external HDD unplugged...

I'll climb up into the attic soon and look for my mobo manual soon too...

Griff
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:23 am

U didn't include the logs. Dad gum it! I was hopin' this would resolve.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Griff on Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:28 am

It just did it again! Sad tearing Ok, next time, I will re log this damn thing...

Griff
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Griff on Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:47 am

Back again. Ok, I'm certain now that the problem is the external HDD. Well, maybe that has been the catalyst to the mobo or something, but anyways... I have had the external HDD unplugged for a few days again, and only plugging it in breifly when I needed to back some files up to it. I haven't have any freezes since the last one I mentioned in my last post on Oct 14th.

I really can't be bothered doing another Windows install so I am going to leave the external HDD unplugged until I need to use it, and then when I am finished using it, unplug it again.

Griff
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Griff on Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:10 am

I spoke too soon! Again! Ok, the problem might be my USB drivers. The external HDD connects to the computer via USB, and recently (today) the computer froze up twice on separate occassions when I had my 2GB USB key drive in, and again when I tried to charge up my Mum's new iPod shuffle. I'm going to look for new Intel mobo / USB drivers...

Griff
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Griff on Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:47 pm

VERY bad news: I think my external 1TB HDD just got fried. I was plugging it back in after using it on another computer, and it was plugged into the power socket, but not to the computer yet. I had the USB plug in my hand, ready to put it into the back of the computer, and the USB plug touched the metal case of my tower, I heard a loud click, and now the HDD won't light up, and my computer doesn't detect it.

I'm going to test it on another computer in the morning as it's quite late here now and I should get some sleep. I'm not worried about getting a refund on this thing as it's less than a year old and under warranty, BUT I have lost all my movies and nearly all my music. That is, if it is indeed fried.

Stupid thing is, this house has a safety switch AND my whole system (including the power plug of the external HDD) is plugged into a safety switch power board. Maybe that made the loud click. I'll be looking into this tomorrow morning. Sad tearing

Exasperation = me.

Maybe I need to move to a tropical island and never use technology again.

Griff
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abletec on Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:00 pm

Griff, that's probably the way it should be anyway--certainly the way I run my machine. Don't forget to use the "safely remove hardware" wizard when disconnecting that external drive.

abletec
Intermediate
Intermediate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next