Question about Firewall

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Question about Firewall

Post by phenom on 30th June 2009, 2:37 pm

Hello, I posted a problem here not too long ago. Basically my computer at work attracted a virus. I haven't done anyting differently from the past, and I am concerned about what might have caused the virus. I do know that my firewall was down due to a new phone system that we were installing.

Is it possible to get a virus while the firewall is down without downloading an attachment?
Can you please give me some information on the dangers of having the firewall down?

Also, is it possible to obtain a virus from an e-mail that does not have an attachment?

Thank you sooo much for your time!!!!!
You guys are really the best!!

phenom
Novice
Novice

Posts Posts : 7
Joined Joined : 2009-06-25
OS OS : xp
Points Points : 27273
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Question about Firewall

Post by Belahzur on 30th June 2009, 3:54 pm

In technology nowadays, everything is possible.
You can get a malware infection just from surfing the internet alone regardless of a firewall. A 3rd part firewall only acts as protection and warns you of something attempting to intrude, but if you tell the firewall to allow it, it will install whatever the file is carrying.

If you want our help, you will need permission from your works IT department/boss as some work machines tend to have restrictions set, and unfortunately, malware also sets the same kind of restrictions, so in cases of work machines, it's hard for me to tell who's done what.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.

Belahzur
Administrator
Administrator

Posts Posts : 34918
Joined Joined : 2008-08-03
Gender Gender : Male
OS OS : 7 Home Premium x64
Points Points : 245121
# Likes # Likes : 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top