Potential virus in new folder

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Solved Potential virus in new folder

Post by fatguy on 10th January 2008, 11:56 am

The Malware section is unavaliable, so i posted here for help.

I think I may have a virus on my PC. I was looking on my hard drive this morning when I saw a hidden folder called C_Dilla on my C: drive. I donít have any program by that name, but my antivirus software isnít detecting it. What is it and how do I get rid of it?

fatguy
Senior
Senior

Posts Posts : 380
Joined Joined : 2008-01-10
OS OS : vista and xp
Points Points : 32902
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Potential virus in new folder

Post by Doctor Inferno on 10th January 2008, 11:59 am

C_Dilla isnít actually a virus. Itís part of a technology called SafeCast, which is installed automatically by many applications (typically games) to help protect against unauthorised copying. Thereís a full FAQ on this technology on Macrovisionís website at www.macrovision.com/products/safecast/safecast_cdilla_faq.shtml. While its automatic installation is rather irksome, especially as the company refuses to list all of the products using the technology, it doesnít actually do any harm to your machine. However, if you delete it, then itís likely that a few of your applications will stop working rather suddenly.

C_Dilla is occasionally referred to as spyware, although in practice it doesnít report anything back about your computer use. Nevertheless, at least a few spyware checkers Ė notably Spybot Search And Destroy Ė have, in the past, had the capability to expunge it from your system.

Other copy-protection systems can be more troublesome. At least a couple have now entered the market that are flat-out refusing to let you run your software if any virtual CD software is detected on your hard drive. Keep a close eye on exactly what programs such as these demand, and do complain if you think theyíve gone too far. Only if we speak up will companies start to listen and learn.

8)

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

Doctor Inferno
Administrator
Administrator

Posts Posts : 11976
Joined Joined : 2007-12-26
Gender Gender : Male
OS OS : Windows 7 Home Premium and Ultimate X64
Protection Protection : Kaspersky PURE and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Points Points : 104630
# Likes # Likes : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down